E2 Visa for Investors
San Antonio E2 Visa Lawyer
E2 Visa for Investors
The E2 Visa is a visa for people of select countries that want to invest in the US to start a business or purchase an existing business.
People from which countries qualify for the E2 Visa? Click on the button below to see if your country is on the E2 Visa list.
List of E2 Visa Countries
You must be citizen of one of these countries to qualify for an E2 Visa:
Bosnia and Herzegovina 11
China (Taiwan) 1
Czech Republic 2
Slovak Republic 2
Trinidad & Tobago
United Kingdom 10
1. China (Taiwan) – Pursuant to Section 6 of the Taiwan Relations Act, (TRA) Public Law 96-8, 93 Stat, 14, and Executive Order 12143, 44 F.R. 37191, this agreement which was concluded with the Taiwan authorities prior to January 01, 1979, is administered on a nongovernmental basis by the American Institute in Taiwan, a nonprofit District of Columbia corporation, and constitutes neither recognition of the Taiwan authorities nor the continuation of any official relationship with Taiwan.
2. Czech Repubilc and Slovak Republic – The Treaty with the Czech and Slovak Federal Republic entered into force on December 19, 1992; entered into force for the Czech Republic and Slovak Republic as separate states on January 01, 1993.
3. Denmark – The Treaty which entered into force on July 30, 1961, does not apply to Greenland.
4. France – The Treaty which entered into force on December 21, 1960, applies to the departments of Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guiana and Reunion.
5. Japan – The Treaty which entered into force on October 30, 1953, was made applicable to the Bonin Islands on June 26, 1968, and to the Ryukyu Islands on May 15, 1972.
6. Netherlands – The Treaty which entered into force on December 05, 1957, is applicable to Aruba and Netherlands Antilles.
7. Norway – The Treaty which entered into force on September 13, 1932, does not apply to Svalbard (Spitzbergen and certain lesser islands).
8. Spain – The Treaty which entered into force on April 14, 1903, is applicable to all territories.
9. Suriname – The Treaty with the Netherlands which entered into force December 05, 1957, was made applicable to Suriname on February 10, 1963.
10. United Kingdom – The Convention which entered into force on July 03, 1815, applies only to British territory in Europe (the British Isles (except the Republic of Ireland), the Channel Islands and Gibraltar) and to “inhabitants” of such territory. This term, as used in the Convention, means “one who resides actually and permanently in a given place, and has his domicile there.” Also, in order to qualify for treaty trader or treaty investor status under this treaty, the alien must be a national of the United Kingdom. Individuals having the nationality of members of the Commonwealth other than the United Kingdom do not qualify for treaty trader or treaty investor status under this treaty.
11. Yugoslavia – The U.S. view is that the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (SFRY) has dissolved and that the successors that formerly made up the SFRY – Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Slovenia, and the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia continue to be bound by the treaty in force with the SFRY and the time of dissolution.
E2 Visa Benefits
The major benefits the E2 Visa offers are:
• Live in the USA
You and your immediate family will be able to legally live in the USA. Your immediate family includes your spouse and your unmarried children under the age of 21.
• Work in the USA
You will be authorized to legally work in the USA. Your spouse will be eligible to get a work permit that can be used to work for any employer in the USA.
• Public Education
Your children will have access to schools in the USA and be able to attend classes from Pre-K to high school.
For children that have already graduated from high school, they will be able to attend universities in the US without a Student Visa.
• Social Security Number
You and your spouse will be able to get Social Security Numbers.
• Driver’s License
You and your spouse will be eligible to apply for a State Driver’s License in the state you live in.
Requirements of E2 Visa
The E2 Visa has 4 general requirements:
You must invest in starting a new business or continuing an existing business in the USA. We recommend an investment of $100,000 USD at a minimum, however you may still qualify for the E2 Visa if you are investing a lower amount.
2. Create Jobs
Your investment should create jobs for US workers.
We recommend that the investment create a minimum of 1 to 3 positions for US Workers.
3. The investment must be “active”
Your investment must be used in developing or operating an “active” business. An “active” business is one that has expenses, income, and can create jobs.
Example of “active” investments: restaurants, transportation trucking companies, cleaning service companies, real estate investment companies that remodel and re-sell homes, etc.
Examples of “non-active” investments: A US bank account with money in it. Another example is purchasing a house for personal use in the USA.
4. You must be a national of a treaty country
There are 68 treaty countries that qualify for an E2 Visa with Canada, China and Mexico being some of the most active investors in the US. Click on the blue button above to see if your country is a treaty country.
How to Apply for the E2 Visa?
The E2 Visa is a one-step process that requires one application to be submitted to the US Consulate concluding with an interview. The application process for the E2 Visa is:
• E2 Document Checklist
Once you hire our law firm, our immigration attorney will draft and provide you with a tailored checklist of the documents needed to prepare your E2 Visa application.
• E2 Visa Application
Once we have received the required documents, we will prepare your E2 Visa application.
• E2 Visa Interview with US Consulate
The final step of the E2 Visa process is the Visa Interview. This interview is done at a US Embassy/Consulate in your home country.
Prior to this interview, our immigration attorney will schedule an appointment to help prepare you for the interview.
• E2 Duration and Renewal
Generally, the E2 Visa is issued increments of up to 5 years.
It can be renewed in increments of up to 5 years at a time and there is no limit on the number of times the E2 Visa can be renewed.
E2 Visa Frequently Asked Questions
• I want to start a business that requires less than $100,000 USD to start. Can I still apply for an E2 Visa?
The answer is that it primarily depends on the business you are investing in. For example, if you were opening a cleaning service that only requires a start-up cost of $80,000 then you may still qualify for the E2 Visa if you were investing $80,000. On the other hand, you may not qualify if you were investing $20,000 to start a trucking company because trucking companies normally require a much larger investment to become operational.
For more information Contact Our San Antonio E2 Visa Lawyer
If you would like to set up a consultation with an immigration attorney to discuss the time, costs and other requirements associated with an E2 Visa application, please call (210) 858-9681.